I spent much of my adult life in financial turmoil. Even as I learned more about money, I still felt out of control. Then everything changed.
The answer didn’t come from a financial text, but a spiritual one, A Course in Miracles.
From the Course I learned that we have “two thought systems” or two distinct “voices” in our head:
- The voice of Fear (the Ego).
- And the voice of Love (the Soul).
The Soul and the Ego have conflicting agendas. Thus, they produce dramatically different results–either miracles or misery.
“You cannot follow two masters,” the Course warns. “There is no compromise between the two.”
My financial life radically shifted as I began to recognize their differing agendas.
The Ego’s job is to keep us safe. A job it learned very early in life, when our survival depended on getting love, approval, and attention. The Ego is all about instilling fear as a means of self-protection.
But know this: what helped us survive as a child will suffocate us as an adult.
The Soul’s job is to make sure we soar. The Soul, which gets its marching orders directly from God, pushes us to do what we’re here to do—which is usually way outside our comfort zone.
Up till then, I had no idea my resistance to managing money was my Ego’s misguided effort to protect me.
Mustering up the courage to ignore from my Ego and heed my Soul—though terrifying at first—moved me out of misery and into miracles. It will do the same for you.
Here are 3 steps for plugging into your Soul. They require persistent practice. It’s truly a lifelong challenge.
- Observe your feelings. Frustration, tightness, anxiety, fear, inadequacy, needing to control…all signs you’re in Ego (which always speaks first, screams loudest and never shuts up.)
- Don’t try to stifle the Ego. That’s part of its devious plan. The Ego depends on distractions such as busyness & other addictions to prevent you from surrendering to silence.
- Close your eyes, take some deep breaths, relax. Your Soul, which is quiet but tenacious, needs you to be still and listen. Only in stillness can you make out its muted whispers, its sacred wisdom, its loving guidance.
What is your Soul calling you to do? Leave me a comment below.